Filed under: Cooking, VeganMoFo | Tags: Cooking, Eating, Survey, Vegan, Veganism, VeganMoFo
Since I’ve slacked so hard, I’m trying to make up, and what better way to 1) dredge up ideas and 2) kind of bullshit an entry than with a survey! This one comes courtesy of Jess at Get Sconed via B.A.D. at Unhealthy Vegan. Thanks, ladies
1. What was the most recent tea you drank?
Fresh ginger, for my creeping-up illness. Cut up an inch or two of fresh ginger into chunks. Pour boiling water over it. Steep 5 minutes.
2. What vegan forms do you post/lurk on? If so, what is your username? Spill!
Oh, you all know this already: The PPK Forum. My name is, surprisingly, jordanpattern.
3. You have to have tofu for dinner, and it has be an Italian dish. What comes to mind first?
Isa’s Italian Marinated tofu with roasted veggies over polenta with a balsamic vinegar reduction. Shit, now I’m hungry.
4. How many vegan blogs do you read on an average day?
I don’t really have an average day, but if you average out all my non-average days, probably around 4? I have some favorites, but I will never tell!
5. Besides your own, what is the most recent one you’ve read?
6. If you could hang out with a vegan blogger that you haven’t met, who would it be, and what would you do?
I would be pretty darn stoked to hang out with kittee of Cake Maker To The Stars and Jess of Get Sconed, oh, and Pamela of Pamela Cooks. I mean, really, I’d be down with hanging out with all the vegan bloggers out there, really, but it’s much easier to deal with the logistics of just four people, you know? Plus, I’ve met a lot of vegan bloggers! I think Kittee and Jess and Pamela and I could have a pretty great tea party, though.
7. If you had to base your dinners for a week around one of the holy trilogy – tofu, seitan or tempeh, which would it be?
Well, in real life, I would say tofu, because I don’t have to make it before I cook with it, but in an ideal world, I would say seitan. Seitan sandwiches, cutlets, chili, maybe even breaded and fried!
8. If you had to use one in a fight, which would it be?
Tempeh for sure – that stuff is like a brick when frozen.
9. Name 3 meals you’d realistically make with that tough protein of choice!
10. What’s a recipe in vegan blogland that you’ve been eyeing?
Julie Hasson’s sausages! I have had these made by other people, but I want to make them myself so bad! Why am I so damned lazy! I need to re-read all that crap I talked about the virtues of delayed pleasure one more time I think…
11. Do you own any clothing with vegan messages/brands on them?
12. Have you made your pilgrimage to the ‘vegan mecca’ yet? (Portland, duh)
Yes, though I didn’t have as much time there as I would like, and it wasn’t really a pilgrimage so much as a show my old band played, the morning after which I accidentally ditched a whole cadre of PDX PPKers. I’m still sorry, guys!
13. What age did you first go vegan? Did it stick?
I was 22, and yes, it stuck. I’m coming up on 6 years vegan next March.
14. What is the worst vegan meal you’ve had? Who cooked it?
Yucky summer camp french fries that were lukewarm and soggy. This was at the camp where I often teach french horn, but it was before I knew to bring my own lunch. Seriously – is a veggie burger so hard???
15. What made you decide to blog?
I have honestly no idea. Vanity? I fancy myself an okay cook and a fairly decent baker, but I am too busy/cheap/lazy to cook/write as much as I’d like. I’m working on it. I may soon have a super ultra mega cheap blog, since my money might be becoming real tight real soon…
16. What are three of your favorite meals to make?
Isa Pizza – I never get tired of that stuff. I could eat it morning, noon, and night forever.
Marinated tofu with roasted veggies – roast everything together. This is so flavourful and so good and reasonably healthy to boot!
Soup – I can’t pick a type, but I fucking love making soup. Uh. Literally.
17. What dish would you bring to a vegan Thanksgiving-themed potluck?
I’m totally going to bite on B.A.D.’s answer and say stuffed squash… with my own special stuffing recipe that I’m developing that involves cornbread and apple-sage sausage crumbles.
18. Where is your favorite vegan meal at a restaurant? How many times have you ordered it?
I feel like I should say Millenium, both meals I’ve at at which have been amazing, but I’m going to go with the Kung Pao fake chicken from Jasmine Tea House in San Francisco.
19. What do you think the best chain to dine as a vegan is?
I’m going to cheat a little here and say El Toro taquerias in the Bay Area. I think there are 3 of them, so they count, right? I love me some tacos.
20. My kitchen needs a……
kitchen! I don’t have my own right now. When I finally (and I mean finally) move in with my husband, our kitchen will need a tonne of stuff, including a huge clean, twice as many shelves, and, well, kitchenware that isn’t irreplaceable collector beer glasses from Belgium. Ugh.
21. This vegetable is not allowed in my kitchen…
Eggplant. Fuck eggplant.
22. What’s for dinner tonight?
The above-mentioned stuffing, I think. I’m going to create it for the Iron Chef challenge.
23. What’s your favourite cookie cutter?
I don’t own any! The shame!
Okay, that about wraps it up! Thanks again to Jess and B.A.D. for the inspiration!